Southern League Scouting Report: Tennessee Smokies vs. Chattanooga Lookouts â€“ 4/7/2011
- Brett took part in the 2010 All Star Futures Game and Pan American Qualifying Tournament.
- Jackson appears to be above average in the following areas: patience/pitch selection (2 walks), contact (hit in run scoring situation), base running/speed (hit triple, went first to third on single), and defense/arm strength.
- Brett has the skills to be an effective leadoff hitter, but he struck out 126 times in 2010.
- Jackson seems to be more advanced than most of his teammates and competitors. He probably wonâ€™t spend more than half a season at the double-a level.
- Josh suffered a season ending injury (broken middle finger) in July of 2010. The finger didnâ€™t seem to negatively impact his offensive or defensive performance.
- Vitters had three hits in his first five at bats. He successfully executed a hit and run play in one of these at bats.
- Josh made an excellent diving play on a ball to his left. He threw the runner out from one knee.
- Vitters has always been a below average defender. He made 18 errors in 79 games last season. Defense was his primary focus during the Arizona Fall League and spring training.
- Josh was aggressive early in the count. Heâ€™s only walked 33 times over the last two seasons.
- Chris implemented a new delivery in the off-season. He also added a slider to his pitch assortment.
- Withrow had a lively fastball. He touched 96 miles per hour on multiple occasions.
- Chris consistently missed away to left-handed batters and inside to right-handed batters. He wasnâ€™t using his slider very frequently.
- Hitters appeared to be keying on Withrowâ€™s fastball. He may have been tipping this pitch or throwing it in predictable/hitter friendly counts.
- Kyle appears to have above average power potential. He hit 26 home runs in 2010.
- Russell appears to have above average arm strength. Heâ€™s had 23 outfield assists over the last three seasons.
- Kyle lacked patience in his at-bats (struck out twice). He was aggressive early in the count and failed to drive in/mover over runners. In 2010, he struck out 177 times.
- Russell has committed 14 errors over the last three seasons. He seems best suited for one of the corner outfield positions.